Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year

A new year is here…  It is now 2013.  That number is hard for me to believe.  It seems like just yesterday we were all thinking about what would happen with Y2K.  However, it IS a new year…and with a new year, most people take time to reflect on the past and look toward the future.  As I was reflecting on the past,  I heard my daughter at the computer.  She had started watching videos that had been loaded on there some time ago.  I heard the laughter, so I joined her as she watched.  As I sat there, I thought, “That was almost three years ago…it is incredible how much the kids have changed!”  To say that I was shocked would be an understatement.  My little girl was 4…my oldest
boy had just turned 7…and my other little guy was just about to celebrate his 6th birthday.  As I listened to them talk, I almost cried.  Their little kid voices have been replaced by bigger kid voices.  Their little giggles have been replaced by laughs and chuckles.  Chubby little cheeks are long gone.  What happened?!  All of this change in almost three years time… 
 
While I am anxious to watch my children grow up, I don’t want it to happen too fast.  One day, they will be all grown up and not be depending on me as much as they do today.  I write this to remind us all, including myself (especially myself), to take pictures, make videos, do projects…do whatever you can with them now.  I don’t do this as well as I should…but this was a reminder to me that those things will bring back precious memories someday. 
I am glad that with a touch of a button, I can see and hear my little girl at four years old.
How quickly she went from this...
 
 
 to this.
 
I am glad that I have a video of my son, missing his two front teeth and therefore speaking with a bit of a lisp. 
 Missing teeth to...
 
looking so grown-up.
I am glad that I can see my little blonde-haired, blue-eyed boy doing finger painting with both hands entirely blue! 
 
My little man...

 
is a handsome young man...
 
I don’t want to miss these seemingly unimportant things that will become sweet memories much more quickly than I want to imagine… 

No comments:

Post a Comment