Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Reasons to NOT homeschool...?

I have been thinking lately about all of the responses I get from strangers who find out that we homeschool our children. Many times when other parents hear that we homeschool, they say to me, "Oh, I wish I could do that, but..." They then proceed with reasons that they would not or could not homeschool.

I am going to share with you some of the reasons that I have been told as to why parents say that they cannot homeschool their children. I will then share my feelings on that response. There are such a variety of reasons that I have heard, that I decided to do a series on it instead of one very long posting.

(If you missed any of this series, you can find part one, here.
You can find part two, here.)


This is probably the second most popular reason that I hear for not homeschooling (second to the myth of our anti-social children).  "I don't have enough money to homeschool.  You have to have a lot of money to homeschool." 
 
If you had to have a lot of money to homeschool, I wouldn't be homeschooling!  We do not have a lot of money. Let's use an example that many people may be able to relate to.  There are a set of dishes that you have had your eye on for some time.  You begin saving a little here and there, missing your trip to the salon for your "mani" and "pedi"--sacrifice!Eventually, you save up enough to buy the dishes.  Why did you save?  Why did you sacrifice the things you would have liked to have?  Because you really wanted the dishes.  If you really want to homeschool, you can cut back in certain areas, save a little here and there, sacrifice!  Last year, I was able to all of my son's books used for half of the cost of new ones!  Many of the books that I find at used curriculum sales are FREE!  You ask around, look online, find great deals and jump on them, buy some books now and some later.  Homeschooling frees you up to schedule how you'd like, so you don't have to have every book for every subject as soon as September rolls around.  Some of our subjects do not even begin until 2 or 3 months into the school year, so I don't have to have all of my supplies ready on the first day of school.  Be creative...and you won't have to spend a lot of money on homeschooling!
 
Linking up with:
 

2 comments:

  1. I do exactly that. I make saving money all year a priority. So when Spring/Summer comes I have the money to go to our homeschool conference and used books fairs. I have been homeschooling for almost 4yrs and have bought very little new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, Elisabeth! I am attending my very first homeschooling conference this year. Can't wait!

      Delete